Monday 18 June 2012

Nightlife

Last night I went for a night out for the first time since I arrived in Vancouver. Yes I know I've been here over a month, you would think a 23 year old would be going out constantly. 

I'm not a big drinker in all honesty. Sure I'll go out now and again, but I would sooner have friends over (well, not in our empty house, but hypothetically) and have a few drinks, than go out clubbing. 

I had read about the nightlife here before I came over and I actually wrote a little about it earlier in the blog I think, so did it match what I had read?

Well, pretty much, yes. 

First of all we had the majority of our drinks before leaving (Note: Blueberry cider isn't great), as it is a lot cheaper to drink at home then head out later, than it is to go out earlier. From our house it is quite far to the main nightlife area on Granville Street, maybe a 45 minute journey including 2 sky trains and a fairly long walk. Long enough to sober you up a lot from what you had to drink at the house.

Drinking in the streets is understandably illegal here, as it is in the UK, but it is enforced strictly here apparently, whereas in the UK you can pretty much get away with it, if you're discreet. So, that was out of the equation.

When we got to the bar, it was pretty busy, but everyone was sitting down. The actual bar area itself was empty. Bars are like restaurants here, you sit at a table (something which they take very seriously, if you look at the picture) with a drinks menu and a waiter/waitress serves you your drinks. Pretty formal for a night out. Oh and it is expensive, as expected. One pint of cider cost about $7 plus a tip. Suffice it to say I didn't buy many (and at this stage I was pretty tipsy from the drinks we had at home)

We stayed there most the night then went to another bar/club where you had to pay to get in. But again, most people were sitting.

I also read that being drunk here isn't anything to be proud of, which is very different than England (most people's aim there is to get wasted). I guess I like the ethos, but combined with the sitting, waiters etc. it makes for a sombre night. 

BUT! The one thing that makes me not want to go out, is the journey home. We had to walk to some bus stop in the middle of nowhere, wait 10 minutes for a bus, get that bus to somewhere else we didn't know and finally get on another bus which dropped us off near our home. All I want to do after a night has finished, is crash into bed, not wait around for hours to get home. We must have left the bar around 1.00am I guess and I didn't get home until past 3am (although we did stop for some pizza)

Overall, I spent around $60 for a night that was fun, but I could quite happily live without. I don't think I will be painting the town red too often, especially not until I have an income.

No comments:

Post a Comment