Thursday 14 June 2012

Canada: So advanced...
yet (way) behind the times

Having been here a month, I've realised (Okay, I realised ages ago) that this country can be very advanced in certain areas, yet in other, it's way behind the times. In fact, it's way behind the times in many, many areas. I'd like to take you through some examples:

Advanced

Transport System

The transport system here is far superior to anywhere I've been to in the UK. To begin with, the trains have NO drivers! Upon walking onto a Sky Train for the second or third time, we soon realised we could actually see out of the front window, where the driver should be! Complete madness, it's like being on a roller coaster when you manage to secure the front seat!

Also, a transport ticket here covers all modes of transport for a period of 1.5 hours. You can take a train, bus or sea bus (boat) as many times as you like within that 1.5 hours on the same ticket. It's a lot cheaper to travel here than anywhere I've been. 

Finally, the trains are incredibly frequent. You never wait more than a few minutes for a train, ever. In rush hour they're literally every 30 seconds. 

However, trains are behind the times in one aspect. There are no ticket machines, or transport employees, at the end of your journey to make sure you actually paid for a ticket. A lot of people don't even bother paying for tickets. I must have traveled on well over 25 trains and I've been asked once for my ticket. The police ask for tickets here though, and its a $250 fine if you get caught without one. 

Washrooms

The washrooms here are also pretty advanced. The toilets have motion sensors and flush after you walk away or stand up and the taps turn on when you put your hands under them. Sure, we have this in fancy restaurants/hotels in the UK, but I'm talking in fast food chains! 

This may be an exageration

 That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure there is more advanced things in Canada I've just forgot them. But as for behind the times, oh boy!

Behind the times

Banking

Where do I begin here...let's see. Okay here goes:

1. You have to pay $40 for a cheque book (stupid)
2. You can only use your own banks ATM, of which there aren't many. If you use another banks, you get charged.
3. You can't buy anything online unless you have a credit card, ridiculous.
4. You have to pay to have a bank account
5. I have 2 bank accounts linked to one card, why? Pointless.
6. Lots of places don't take debit cards as a form of payment and instead point you to their ATM to get cash out...only the ATM charges you to use it. Annoying!
7. There is no such thing as direct debit here. WTF?! I have to physically walk to the bank to pay bills like internet, electricity etc. How ancient is THAT?
8. ATM's give you your cash before your card. Why? I bet tons of people forget to get their card back.  

I can't think of anymore, but I'm sure there is plenty other stupid banking things going on here.

Taxes and Tipping

Okay, I get it, things you buy have to be taxed, it's the same in the UK. But WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH DO YOU MAKE US ADD THE TAX OURSELVES? Is it that hard for the stores to include the tax in the displayed cost? But nooooo, we have to add 12% to a $4.99 bill, making the price $5.58. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? I'm walking around with pockets full of change because the tax system here is a complete joke. 

You think you're getting a nice cheap meal, only to be slapped around the face with 12% tax and an expected tip of %15-20%. Prepare to add %30 to your bill right away people!

And why is tipping so expected here? I will tip if the service is exceptional. I shouldn't HAVE to tip every single meal I have. Apparently not tipping is offensive, even if you get awful service you are meant to tip 10%. F*%& that. People say waiters and bar staff are poorly paid. Well pay them more then! Don't pass the costs onto the customers for God sake, why should we be paying the staff? That's what the company is there for, cheapskates. I've heard of people who make hundreds of dollars in tips alone in a single night. I'm not surprised with the tipping etiquette here.

Phone Contracts and TV

These both have serious problems. I've already covered phones earlier in my blog and I'm sad to say it is all accurate. They're ridiculous. I have to pay $45 for a contract ($50 including tax!) that is no better than a 15 pound (yeah there is no pound key on North American keyboards, stupid I know)contract in the UK. It doesn't even include a phone. Stupid, but you have to live with it.

I've barely watched any TV here, mainly because I don't have one yet. I'm sure I will write about how shocking it is in the future. I tried watching some at a friends, but it is about 60% adverts, so I didn't bother. I'll stick to streaming and downloading. You hear all these politicians etc. moaning about people downloading. Well maybe if you removed 90% of your advertising on TV channels here, people would actually watch TV. 

Oh, and there is no such thing as a one off payment for TV here in Canada. You either pay monthly for cable or you don't have TV. Again, ridiculous. 

That's it for now, I can probably write another one of these soon :)

2 comments:

  1. so fun to read this you should move to norway ;D kinda the same as canada but way better banking systems hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading :) Glad you like it! I've heard a lot of good things about Norway. My brother is actually visiting there this summer. I'm sure I'd like it there too, although I wouldn't know any Norwegian, from what I gather English is spoken a lot there so I'm sure I would get by.

    ReplyDelete