Friday 20 July 2012

England Vs. Canada Pt. 3

So, I started these off by saying what I think I will miss about England and what I think I will like about Canada, but now I'm here, I can say what I DO miss and what I DO like, so here goes:
What I miss...

1. British Pubs

Pubs dont really exist here in Vancouver (and I imagine Canada). Anywhere you drink is a loud bar. You can't beat a good old British Pub, the chitter chatter, the old buildings, the old drunk guy who can't go a day without visiting his local pub. There is so much character to pubs, whereas there is nothing to bars. I've heard it is mainly because alcohol licenses here are insanely expensive, and most bars here are also restaurants in the day, as being a place that serves both food and drink is cheaper than a place that just serves drink. 

2. Antiperspirant Spray
 
It doesn't exist here as far as I can tell. You can get those horrible antiperspirant roll on things, but they are truly dreadful and seemingly leave your armpit wetter than normal, if anything. Baffles me, as does this next one...

3. Cordial

Again, haven't seen sight nor sound of it when I've looked. You can buy juice that is already diluted, but that's not the same at all. You can obviously buy pop as well. You CAN buy these weird crystal sachets that you put in your water to make it fruity (similar to cordial) but they taste like crap and leave bits at the bottom of your glass, even if you stir it. 

What I like...

1. Maple Syrup Baked Beans

Oh yes, this is food fit for a king. What a brilliant idea, adding maple syrup to the rudimentary baked bean. Fantastic. I'm not normally partial to baked beans, but throw in some maple syrup and by gum it's good. I think England is scared to meddle with the classic baked bean in case they somehow offend someone, somewhere. We're living in the past! Maple beans are the future!


 2. Confidence-boost clothing

Ever thought you were overweight in England? Come to North America. Oh, you were an XL size in England? Pfft, that's a medium here. Large in England? Small here. You know what I'm getting at. This place caters for the fat, even making them feel less guilty about their weight issues by mislabeling their true size. Fat gits need not worry, you will soon be a slim Jim once you buy your clothes over the pond. 


3. Cheap travel to the US

I only realized recently just how cheap it is to fly to the US from here. My friend said lets go to Vegas for her birthday in August, to which I laughed at. Then she told me it is only $400 for flights and accommodation for 4 days in Vegas. $400!! That's only about 250 pound. It would cost thousands to go to Vegas from England. I even checked myself, she wasn't lying. Now, still, $400 is a lot to me right now so I doubt I can go in August, but hell yes I will be doing some traveling to the US. Vegas baby! New York, San Fran, Chicago. All fairly cheap! God I can't wait to get a job, save a little then go on an adventure in America.  


2 comments:

  1. If you "really" want cordial, I know a shop in Montreal that sells it... you can have it shipped to ya and even buy it online, just ask Nithrix about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google is your best friend ;)

    http://www.celtictreasurechest.com/products/grocery.htm
    5639 Dunbar Street
    Vancouver, BC

    Its technically an imported luxery, so you'll be paying more than you would back home... but hey, a taste of comfort is worth it, eh?

    ReplyDelete