Friday 11 May 2012

My Life in a Rucksack


So, with just 5 days to go, it is time to start worrying about packing. If there is one thing I really suck at, this is it!

I've always been bad at packing, even for a short holiday. I tend to just go for the "throw it all in and sit on top of it until I've squashed it enough for the zip to close" method. But that option is out of the question here. I need to fit enough "stuff" into one rucksack and a small backpack as hand luggage to last me an entire year. That's a years worth of items in a 23kg bag, how on earth do people do that?

Here is my current list of items for my checklist, which I'm sure is missing plenty of things already:

1.    T-Shirts
2.    Polo Shirts
3.    Jumpers
4.    Jeans
5.    Jackets
6.    Shorts
7.    Socks
8.    Underwear
9.    Interview Clothes (Shirt, Trousers, Belt, Tie)
10.  Trainers
11.  Shoes
12.  Hiking Boots
13.  Pumps
14.  Razor, Blades and Shaving Cream
15.  Wash Bag and Toiletries (including deodorants and  aftershaves)
16.  Toothbrush and Toothpaste
17.  Towel
18.  Mobile Phone and Accessories (Charger, Data Cable, Travel Charger)
19.  iPod
20.  USB Stick (with all documents on that are required)
21.  Head Clipper and Accessories
22.  Torch
23.  Alarm Clock
24.  Padlock (for locker)
25.  Adapters
26.  Camera and Accessories
27.  Online Bank Information
28.  Webcam
29.  Canadian Money
30.  Train Tickets
31.  Sunglasses
That's over 30 different things already! Bearing in mind certain points, like T-Shirts and Polos, could be 20+ items! 

Somebody told me to buy vacuum bags to allow more space, which I now regret not buying, but I do think if I did that I would be taking way over 23kg of luggage.

Now, I'm a guy, we have it easy! Imagine being a girl undergoing this trip (which a lot do). How can they possibly cope? Their shoes alone must be nearly 23kg! Then they have make up, hair straighteners and anti aging cream to fit in somewhere. Maybe a few thousand bags, bracelets, jewellery, spray tan, nail varnish and magazines. I'm surprised they don't need to ship items over. Or maybe they get their parents to do that once they have arrived.

Yeah, I will count my lucky stars I'm a guy, but still, this is not going to be easy and may result in me calling in reinforcements from a certain mother.

Packing starts Sunday, I may not write again until I am in Vancouver, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment