Tuesday 22 May 2012

My Journey


Sorry for the delay since my last post! I haven't really had access to a computer since my arrival and writing thsee blogs off a phone is almost impossible.

So, my journey started off so well! I got a Virgin train from Liverpool to London. It was so empty, I had a table with 4 seats to myself with Wifi on my phone. It only took 2 hours to reach London.


However, it soon took a turn for the worse. Once I arrived in London at 6pm (rush hour)my journey went from heaven to hell. I was told to catch the underground to Paddington station, however none of the routes I could see even went through Paddington. I was stood looking at maps with hundreds of people rushing around me, totally clueless where to go next. Eventually a steward approached me and asked where I was heading. He told me to go to Kings Cross and then catch another train to Heathrow.

After leaving King Cross I soon realised my first mistake of the entire journey, using a rusksack rather than a suitcase. I had to standfor around an hour on a packed underground train, sweating with a huge coat on, with a 23kg rusksack on my back the entire time. By the time I reached Heathrow my shoulders and back were killing me!

In Heathrow I somehow found a bus that took me to my hotel, which thankfully was free! The hotel was pretty basic. No internet, not even a TV without paying 10 pound per night. So, just ate and went to sleep.

The next day I met up with another guy on the same trip and headed back to Heathrow for our flight. Finally I got rid of the weight on my back at check in and boarded the plane. The flight was great though, despite not being able to sleep I watched 4 movies and by the time they were done we were in Vancouver.

We then caught the SkyTrain to Downtown and walked to our hostel. Finally after getting to my room, jet lag had taken its toll. By 8pm I was completely out of it. By 4am I was wide awake and ready to start my trip into Canada. Shame I had to wait another 4 hours until breakfast!



No comments:

Post a Comment